I just recently attended the 2013 Energy Psychology conference in Reston, Virginia. It was a wonderful, invigorating experience to be reunited with so many of my joyful, brilliant colleagues. While I was there I had the great fortune to meet author and scientist, Eben Alexander, M.D.
Dr. Alexander is getting a lot of press attention because he has recently released a memoir entitled “Proof of Heaven” where he recounts a unparalleled, near death experience brought on by a rare form of E coli bacterial meningitis.
What made Dr. Alexander’s experience so unique, is that not only was he a neurosurgeon and a huge religious skeptic, but the illness completely shut down his brain’s ability to produce conscious thought while he was in a seven-day coma. And yet what he consciously experienced during those seven days is pretty incredible to read.
He is a medical miracle, as no one has ever experienced the level of illness he did, gone into a coma for seven days and awakened to become fully functioning with no residual brain damage.
I started reading the book at Dulles International airport and finished it as I landed in San Diego. I wanted nothing in all those hours but to remain glued to its riveting pages. It’s a quick read and will absolute captivate your interest and open your eyes in many ways.
While addressing the conference, I was struck by the calm and presence that Dr. Alexander possessed. He is clear, sure, and puts forth a very compelling argument for the validity of his experience.
Here are some of the points he made.
1. Love, Compassion and Acceptance are the essence of the fabric of the alternate dimension that exists beyond…the spiritual realm.
2. Everyone in the Universe is loved beyond measure.
3. There absolutely is a God/Divine Creator. Dr. Alexander said that he now refers to this Being as Om, because that is the sound he always heard in the presence of the One.
4. We are all connected as One through our divine link with God. Everything in the Universe is made up of particles of energy and science has proven that each particle is connected to every other one. This includes all aspects of the creation…rocks, plants, water, soil, animals, insects etc.
5. The spiritual aspect is an important part of all of us and it is critical to develop and enrich this aspect through prayer, meditation, and by manifesting Love and Compassion.
6. We spiral to higher and higher states of consciousness on the notes of music.
7. Laughter and Irony are at heart, reminders that we are not prisoners in this world, but voyagers through it.
8. The brain doesn’t create consciousness. Consciousness is. The brain is a tool to access it.
9. The Universe has no beginning or end, and God is entirely present within every particle of it.
10. Evil exists as a necessary consequence of the gift of free will, but the sum total of all the evil in the universe, is as a grain of sand on a vast beach compared to the goodness in the universe.
I hope this gives you an understanding of why my life experience has been so deeply shifted by meeting Dr. Alexander and reading his book, “Proof of Heaven”. It would be my fondest hope that each of you will give yourselves the same opportunity.
We are bombarded every day by so many ‘shoulds’. Life can be so confusing and overwhelming, that it obscures who we are and what we really feel and believe in our hearts. Eben Alexander, M.D. is shining a bright light on the path of what is truly important. I invite you to let that light illumine the dark areas of your life. Let it help you get back in touch with the clear, hopeful, vibrant, joyful version of you.
If I were to try to convey a central theme or message of the Energy Psychology conference, it would have to be pretty much what Dr. Alexander put forth: Love is everything. The consciousness of love, permeating the healer and those receiving healing, is far more important, than any technique or substance, in creating true health and transformation. The Beatles said it long ago, and more and more we are finding it to be true: “All you need is Love.”
You can read more about his book here.